Saturday, September 3, 2016

Jim Thome card #103 1997 Topps Chrome #40


  • I wasn't collecting a lot around 1997, which is largely why I don't remember Topps Chrome coming on the scene at that time.  My earliest memories of Chrome aren't until the early 2000's.
  • I wanted to take a look at the leader board for the '96 season, as Thome's numbers were pretty solid.  His OPS and OBP were both in the top 10 in the AL, but 36 HRs and 116 RBIs couldn't crack the top 10 in either category.  It also surprised me to see that his 123 walks were 2nd in the AL to Tony Phillips.  Really, Phillips?
  • The '97 Chrome set is still holding strong price wise after 2 decades; the 195 card set still lists for $50, and the singles unlisted stars like Thome have a high Beckett of $2.
- Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment