- Makes you wonder if this is a Sakic card or a Patrick Roy card. You can clearly see Roy in the background and the inset photo.
- 8 copies for sale on COMC, ranging in price from 99 cents to $1.25. Yes, most Sakic base cards are around a buck, but this set should be a bit lower than most of the other base sets. I would say in the 50-75 cent range would be more like it for this card.
- Career goal #297 came 12/4/96 against the Oilers. His goal opened the game, and was a short handed goal. It was all the Avs would need as they shut out Edmonton 2-0
Thursday, February 15, 2018
Wednesday, February 14, 2018
- What intrigued me about this card instantly was Ichiro's glove. Looks like something from the turn of the 20th century, doesn't it?
- Bio on the back: "in 2003, he led American League rightfielders in every defensive category, 12 assists (including 2 in one inning)." Pretty good stat to feature on a gold glove winner's card, right?
- Career game 26 sees Ichiro go 1 for 4 extending his hit streak to 8 games. Ichiro has one of 3 hits off of Red Sox starter Pedro Martinez as the Sox won 2-0.
Monday, February 12, 2018
- Bought a lot of these packs back in the day. 99 cents was a hard price point to pass up.
- Great photo of Joe releasing a shot. Look at the whip in the stick at puck contact, incredible.
- Interesting set size, 310 cards. Not sure why Upper Deck didn't just stop at 300 or go up to 350.
- 5 copies of this card on COMC, range from 96 cents to $1.25. Might be better off finding a pack and taking a chance on pulling a Joe...
Saturday, February 10, 2018
- Not a bad design for an eX card. A bit hard to see the #25 on the left hand side of the card, but other than that the background looks cool, kind of like this is hand drawn instead of a photo.
- Interesting stats on the back; Fleer featured Jim's stats vs 5 teams, and then against the NL. Jim ate up the NL to the tune of 10 HR and 25 RBI with a .365 average in 2001.
- Career home run #280 was hit on 9/10/01 against Dan Wright of the White Sox. It was a solo shot at home that tied the game at 1. Unfortunately for the Tribe that would be the only run they would get in a 7-1 loss.
Friday, February 9, 2018
- Maybe the top 2 players of the decade? Ichiro and Pujols would get my vote.
- Love this photo with the shot of U.S. Cellular Field in the background. More photos like this would be welcome.
- Career game #25 would see Ichiro's latest hit streak go to 7 games with a 1 for 6 performance against the White Sox. Ichiro's hit came in the 9th inning off of Keith Foulke. The Sox would go on to lose the game in 14 innings, 2-1.
Thursday, February 8, 2018
- A healthy dose: I currently own 43 cards from 2002 releases of Jim. A few new sets I haven't shown on this blog before as well. Looking forward to it.
- Typical Bowman, nothing flashy or outlandish. Steady clean design, black and red border (a great color combo IMO).
- Bio on the back: "once a punch and Judy hitter, Thome devoted himself to weight training and blasted 32 total homers (AAA and Cleveland) in 1993." Can you imagine Jim being a singles hitter, ever?
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
- A little screwed up: I had this in with my 98-99 cards. Only 2 years off.
- Nope: Joe only played one game against Florida during the 96-97 season, and was held pointless. No winner here.
- Interesting that all 3 versions of the card feature Joe against eastern conference teams (other 2 were NJ and Pittsburgh). Maybe fewer games means fewer winners?
Sunday, February 4, 2018
- Seeing this card made me think "how many miles has Ichiro ran while running the bases during his career?" I'm sure that there's somebody out there that can figure this out.
- 2005 Topps=the Ichiro set. He is a part of 6 cards in the set. Crazy.
- Game #24 is a big one for Ichiro as he goes 3 for 6 with a run in an 8-5 win over the White Sox. Ichiro gains back 8 of the 10 batting average points he lost the previous game and is now hitting .345. Ichiro's hit streak is up to 6 games.
Saturday, February 3, 2018
- Final card of my PC of Jim for 2001 is here. I'm guessing pink is a primary color? Oh, it's red!
- This card is serial #'d 866/975. I don't recall having shown too many serial numbered cards for Thome so far. I'm sure that I can count them on one hand.
- Surprisingly this was not added to the TCDB as of yet. Unlike my Sakic collection, adding Thome cards has been few and far between for me.
- 8 copies of this card are currently on COMC, the cheapest at $1.50 and the most expensive is $3.85. Not too bad a range in my opinion.
- I like the dark blue border of the card, but the Opening Day logo back then was a shade too big for my taste.
- No longer will we see Chief Wahoo on cards and uniforms as MLB decided to remove it effective 2019. Is the nickname Indians the next to go?
- Career homer #277 was the first of 2 on the day against the Red Sox Hideo Nomo. Jim would go 2 for 3 with 3 RBI in a 8-5 win to make a winner of Bartolo Colon.