- I like the design of the card, as it shows who the power corps were right on the front. The bronze border didn't scan as well as it looks in hand though.
- Bio on the back: " Thome recorded an at-bats-to-HR ratio of 12.4, 2nd best in the AL." I don't know for sure, but I'll guess that Griffey was 1st.
- 3 copies of this card on COMC, anywhere from $2.69 to $4.25. Pricey to say the least.
- Career home run #289 came on 4/30/02 against Ramon Ortiz of the Angels. It tied the game at 1, but it really was an afterthought as the Indians gave up 3 touchdowns to the halos, losing 21-2. Ouch
Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Tuesday, June 19, 2018
- I like the green on the border. I think Topps had a green border a year or 2 previous that looked good as well.
- 3 years, 662 hits. I don't think we'll see anyone achieve that feat again, at least in my lifetime.
- 44 cents for the cheapest copy of this card on COMC is a pretty good deal for an Ichiro card.
- Game #35 in Toronto sees Ichiro go 2 for 5 to bring his average back to .340 Ichiro's hit streak is now 17 games and the M's have gone 12-5 during the streak. Oh, and they beat the Jays 7-2 in the first of a 3 game set.
Monday, June 18, 2018
- This card probably would have been better if the QB featured was Kurt Warner instead of Josh McCown.
- Love how the card scanned here, almost like a refractor.
- Serial #'d 150/1000. Right up my alley.
- Career catch #4 was the final catch of Larry's first game. It was an 8 yard pass from Josh McCown; Larry wound up with 4 catches for 70 yards. Rams won 17-10
Sunday, June 17, 2018
- Even in hand, this card for me is difficult to see. Joe's name and team is on the left hand side and in small lettering. I get the shiny part is nice, but the rest is just OK for me.
- Gotta love mid-season releases, as the bio on the back mentions that Joe led the Avs in goals and shorthanded goals as 1998 came to an end.
- There are 20 copies of this card currently on COMC, from 95 cents to $3.25. That's a pretty broad range for a base card.
- Goal #302 came on 3/3/97 against the Vancouver Canucks. Joe scored just 1:28 into the game, and the Avs wouldn't look back as they beat Vancouver 5-1. Kirk McLean was that night's victim.
Saturday, June 16, 2018
- I'll always love cards that pay homage to older sets. Love the picture they used for Jim, eye black and his trademark high socks. Doesn't get much more vintage than that.
- Still getting caught up on posting the 10 Sportlots cards of Jim I bought a few weeks back. Will finish those first before heading back to the 2002 cards.
- I think I paid a quarter for this card, the 3 on COMC currently run anywhere from $1.65 to $3.25. Yikes!
- Career home run #288 was the 2nd straight that broke a scoreless tie. He hit it 4/23/02 off of the White Sox' Todd Ritchie, but it was the only run that Cleveland would see that day, losing 5-1.
Friday, June 15, 2018
- Love the look of this card. The blue in the design works well with the blue on the Mariners uniforms.
- Bio on the back: "...drove in two runs and hit the event's first ever inside the park HR." I've never been much for watching all star games, but I think I'm going to have to find that piece of footage on you tube. Here you go Inside the park
- Shows how much I know. I thought the blue version was the base. Nope, that's the purple version. Blue and green are the parallels (green #'d to 99 copies).
- Game #34: He increases his hit streak to 16 games, but his average over the past 2 days has dropped 11 points from .349 to .338. Ichiro goes 1 for 5 and drives in a run as the M's win the series with a 5-2 victory over the Red Sox. Off to Toronto for the next 3 games...
Thursday, June 14, 2018
- Man that is a lot of white on the card. Might have been better to find a card of Fitz in his red jersey instead.
- Bio on the back: "He's the type of player that when you take him out of the box, it says no assembly required." Very high praise. 14 years later, he's still rolling.
- Unbelievably, there are no copies of this card on COMC right now. There are black and gold parallels available, but no base.
- Catch #3: 3rd quarter of his first NFL game against the Rams. 10 yard completion from Josh McCown. Larry has now caught a pass in each of his first 3 quarters as a pro.
Wednesday, June 13, 2018
- It's amazing what downloading some new scanner drivers will do to improve scan quality. I had a new printer in my cart on the weekend, but changed my mind.
- Not a bad design. Not great, but not bad. There's a red parallel out there, but I'm in no hurry to grab it.
- This card on COMC is as cheap as 64 cents, and one copy is listed for $2.25.
- Career goal #301 was scored against the Oilers on 2/21/97. It was scored with 1 second to go in the game to tie it at 3. Joe would get an assist on the winning goal in OT scored by Mike Ricci. Curtis Joseph would be the victim on this night.
Tuesday, June 12, 2018
- Love the black bordered 2009 OPC's. Still have a bunch them listed on my trade list at TCDB.
- Bio on the back: "the only player in MLB history to record over 200 hits in each of his first 8 years in the big leagues". Incredible.
- Cheap. Only one of these listed on COMC right now, and at 99 cents I think that's pretty cheap.
- Game #33 sees Ichiro's average drop 7 points to .342. He goes 1 for 6 to improve his hit streak to 15 games as the M's double up the Red Sox 10-5. The Mariner's are now 24-9 in Ichiro's rookie season.
Monday, June 11, 2018
- While I applaud Upper Deck for its uniqueness in creating a lottery type scratcher with this card, it's kind of disappointing to never know if it would have won without defacing the card.
- Just noticed in the background, the on-deck circles feature the Tigers and the Red Sox. Maybe they could have included a game with Thome's Indians in the picture? Just a thought...
- Another cheap pickup from the Sportlots lot from a few weeks back. Still a few more Thome cards to show off before I get back to the 2002 portion of the PC.
- Career HR #287: Jim hit this homer on 4/21/2002, off of Rick Reed of the Twins. The 2-run shot broke a scoreless tie in the 4th, but it would be all the Indians get on that day as the Twins would win 4-2. It would be the Tribe's 6th straight loss and drop them to 11-7.