- Love these Topps Laser cards, have not seen a whole lot of them over the years, but they are always welcomed when I do get them in the house.
- Added this card, surprisingly, to the Trading Card Database. The site is now less than 25,000 cards away from the 2,000,000 mark.
- Stats on the back: Jim reached first base in 89% of the games that he started in 1995. Also, 41% of his career hits (at the time) had gone for extra bases. That'll help the OPS...
Monday, August 21, 2017
Sunday, August 20, 2017
- Glad that Topps used a different photo on the left hand side of the card. At least if you can't see the Class 2 in the background, you can at least tell the difference by the photos.
- Added this card to the Trading Card Database as well. This will bring me up to 23 cards added, a tie for 8th on the McCutchen list. Have a long way to go to catch another blogger you may know. Cynical Buddha who runs Collectors Crack is at 61 cards added for Cutch.
- Got this for fairly cheap on COMC, just 47 cents. I remember back in the day when Class 2 cards carried a decent premium over Class 1's. I guess that's no more....
- I remember the older versions of Gold Label, where you had to look at the back of the card to see what Class the card was. Now it's on the front, and if you're like me and tend not to look too close at cards the first time around, it can be hard to spot.
- Glad that Topps didn't airbrush the cross off of Andrew's armband.
- Added this card to the Trading Card Database, and was surprised when I looked it up that it wasn't already there.
- Bought this for cheap on COMC, just 43 cents.
Saturday, August 19, 2017
- Card depicts Joe and his Conn Smythe trophy as MVP of the 95-96 playoffs. Joe had 34 points, including 18 goals to lead the league in scoring.
- This card is part of a 20 card award winner set released by Upper Deck, and included all award winners, including coaches Scotty Bowman and Marc Crawford.
- There is currently just one copy of this card currently on COMC, and it's priced at $2.75. I don't know how limited these were, but if the print runs were similar to previous Kraft releases, that price might not be too bad.
Friday, August 18, 2017
- One of the more underrated sets from 2016, Topps did a really nice job with Bunt. Would love to get the Program insert of Andrew's someday.
- There are 3 very tough parallels for this card, crimson (only 1), topaz (50 of these) and platinum (99 of these). Chances are I'll never grab any of these.
- Bio on the back: "His 716 hits from 2012-15 paced the League". 179 hits per year for 4 years is solid production no matter who you are. He also averaged 82.5 walks per year for those 4 seasons as well.
Thursday, August 17, 2017
- Fantastic shot of Jim at bat against the Chicago White Sox. The catcher is Mark Johnson, Chicago's 1st pick in the 1994 draft.
- Seeing cards like this make me wonder why Stadium Club isn't a little more reasonably priced. If it were, I think it would be the top set in terms of collectors. I know if it had more cards in a pack, I'd be inclined to chase the set.
- Just one copy of this card currently on COMC at the moment, priced at 61 cents. I don't remember where I picked up my copy, but I don't remember paying over 50 cents for it.
Wednesday, August 16, 2017
- Love the purple parallel, the purple doesn't overtake the photo, but yet it's deep enough to let you know it's purple, not lavender or any lighter shade.
- Added this card to the Trading Card Database. It's serial #'d 19/250
- Bought this for 89 cents on COMC. Cheapest copy currently on the site is 89 cents.
- This is the final Brett Lawrie card that I currently own. Of course I will probably add more over time, and accept more in trades as well. But I'm probably going to concentrate on my other PCs a bit more in the near future.
- Serial #'d 151/499, this is one of the few cards I have of Lawrie that features him hitting, instead of throwing the baseball.
- Cheap. I bought this on COMC at the beginning of 2016 for just 68 cents. The 4 copies currently on the site range from 85 cents to $1.70.
- The other 3 color parallels that I need are all reasonably priced right now, it might behoove me to go after one or more for my next order.
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
- Said it many times before, I was never a big fan of the Studio cards when they first came out, but they grew on me over the years.
- I can only imagine how relaxing it was for the players to pose like this, no equipment under their jersey, giving them a different look than in their full uniform.
- There are also 8x10 versions of these, none of which I have. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of one and trying to get an IP autograph on it.
Monday, August 14, 2017
- Closing in on the end. Just two more cards in my current PC to show off for Laurie, both Bowman cards. I'll finish him up on Wednesday.
- Something you don't see very often on Lawrie cards; him in a perfectly clean, white uniform.
- I'm still amazed at some of the prices you see on base cards on COMC. The cheapest price for this card on the site is 50 cents (still pricey if you ask me), but the most expensive copies of this card are $2.25! That's just unbelievable.