- The black border rule: Someone should make a rule that states any card company should release at least one set per year with a black border. There's like 6000 sets a year, so how hard should this be?
- I would be willing to take a wild guess and say that this isn't Ichiro's real signature...
- Game 18 saw Ichiro's 15 game hitting streak come to an end. Jarrod Washburn was the Angels starter, and Lou Pote and Ben Weber mopped up in a 5-2 M's win. Game 19 would see Ichiro start another long hitting streak.
Sunday, January 21, 2018
Saturday, January 20, 2018
- I have no idea what the difference is for an Electro-Optical Portrait. But none the less, here it is!
- It also has been added to the Trading Card Database. This card should boost me to 7th on the Joe Sakic contributor list. Still a long way to go and a lot of Sakic cards to add.
- I don't remember what I paid for this, or how long I've had it, but I'm glad to do have it. 3 copies of the card currently on COMC, cheapest at $3.20, and the highest is $10.25! Not sure why this particular card is priced so high...
Friday, January 19, 2018
- As with other foil cards, this one scanned dark. Once I upped the brightness setting I was able to make out his stick blade, along with his name and team logo on the bottom.
- Bio on the back: Something a little different from Bowman on the back. Time on Ice per game, which they listed at 23:05. It was also a bit funny to see that Joe had more power play points (28) than hits (24) for the 97-98 season.
- There is a refractor version of this card, limited to 400 copies. There's one copy on COMC right now, listed at $6.25. That's just under 10 times what the base is going for. Might be a while before I pursue it.
Thursday, January 18, 2018
- This is more like it. I like the stitching feel of the card, it's what I always remembered about the Ovation releases from the early 2000's.
- Bio on the back: "Thome has been consistent driving in runs for the Indians, recording 577 RBI during the last 5 seasons." 115 RBI per year over a 5 year period certainly isn't anything to sneeze at.
- Career homer #271 was hit on the road, 8/7/01 against Rick Reed of the Twins. It was a 2 run shot that extended the Indians' lead, and allowed them to cruise to a 7-2 win. CC Sabathia pitched 7 innings for the win to up his record to 11-4.
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
- Nice looking card, it's good to see something that honors a part of Ichiro's game that often was overlooked, his defense.
- Bio on the back: Ichiro made only 1 error during his rookie season, winning a gold glove. That would be the first of 10 consecutive gold glove awards.
- Quite the common card: 33 copies of this card currently on COMC. Cheapest is 45 cents. Most expensive is $4. I would think somewhere in the middle is about right.
- Career game #17 see Ichiro's hit streak extended to 15 games with a 2 for 5 performance. During the streak he's hitting .400, the M's are 12-3 and had an OPS of .989. 7 of those games were also multi hit games.
Monday, January 15, 2018
- If I remember correctly, Pacific devoted an entire baseball set called Online. This appears to just be an insert set of 36 cards.
- Just looking at the TCDB, I didn't realize how many inserts/parallels that Omega has. I'm sure it will be quite a while before I see many of them in hand.
- Speaking of the TCDB, I was able to add this card to the site today. Just need another card or two to move into sixth on the Sakic contributors list.
- Bio on the back: Another card that mentions Joe's short handed prowess. Kind of getting tedious isn't it?
Sunday, January 14, 2018
- Love the idea that Donruss employed, using a different design for a "missing" set from a couple years previous.
- Donruss also had another retro card for the 2000 year, but I don't have that one as of yet. There are also stat line serial #'d parallels for the '99 and '00 missing sets; I wonder if this is when Donruss started using the stat line idea.
- Career homer #270 was another Jacobs Field blast, this time hit off Seattle's Paul Abbott. It was Jim's 3rd home run in 2 days, a 2 run shot that brought the Indians to within 6-4. The Indians would get those 2 runs back the very next inning and go on to win 8-6.
- Parallel PC: Ichiro would go 3 for 5 in that game to raise his average to .335. Ichiro had 2 doubles, drove in 2, scored once and walked once.
Saturday, January 13, 2018
- As you all know I'm not a big fan of mini cards, but I don't mind the actual look of this card. There's a variation of this card with Ichiro looking right.
- A little blog maintenance today as I finally added the Ichiro PC page. I still have 28 cards of his on my desk that I have to write posts for. Have to get into the habit of getting things off the desk again.
- Was surprised that I was able to add this to the TCDB. I don't expect to add many Ichiro cards, as I plan on focusing mostly on his base cards. I would imagine that a lot of those have already been added by other members.
Friday, January 12, 2018
- I believe that it's the next season's Omega release that I really liked. The 3 photos on the front is kind of overkill for me.
- Bio on the back: Again another card describes Joe's shorthanded prowess; this time mentioning that he scored a SHG while assisting on the game winner against the BlackHawks on January 10th, 1999.
- Interesting set size for Omega, as it totaled 252 cards. Cards #251 & 252 honored the first and last games played at Maple Leaf Gardens, as it closed its doors to pro hockey in February '99.
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
- Reminds me of the Pacific Revolution cards from the early 2000's. Only brighter.
- I liked the patches on the sleeve featuring the spring training location. I'm looking forward to hopefully catching a game or 2 during spring training this year. Even the mrs. is hoping to go once or twice.
- Seeing the parallels of this card on COMC definitely make me think Pacific. 4 different parallels, ranging from 62 cents to $14.99 (magenta out of 25). Yep, Pacific it is...