- To be honest, I don't know a lot about this set. The base set of Invincible is just 150 cards, while the NHL Regime set is 220 cards total. I don't know if it was an insert set, or if it was sold separately.
- The design reminds me of a cloud, almost as if you're dreaming about an image of a hockey game.
- 4 of these currently on COMC, ranging from $1.40 to $2. I'll be damned if I can remember where I picked up my copy, but it wasn't online.
Monday, September 18, 2017
Sunday, September 17, 2017
- Upper Deck didn't narrow down to a specific game vs. New Jersey on the card. Colorado only played NJD once during the 97-98 season, and Joe didn't score during that game.
- There are two other Crash cards for Joe, one Vs. Philadelphia and one Vs. the Rangers. Don't have either of those as of yet. The Philadelphia card is a winner, so there may be fewer of those around to chase.
- Unlike the Crash cards from a couple years back, there aren't any variations. Thank goodness....
Saturday, September 16, 2017
- I think Pacific dropped the ball here by not putting Jim's name and team on the bottom of the photo, making the card horizontal instead of vertical.
- There are 6 parallels of this card. I don't have any of them yet. 5 out of the 6 have print runs of 200 or less. It may be a while before I get any of them.
- The Trading Card Database shows this card with the horizontal orientation. I'll show it below and you tell me which way it should be displayed.
Thursday, September 14, 2017
- Bought this not too long ago off of COMC for $1. Wasn't too sure what I was getting when I made the purchase, all I knew is that I needed it for the Sakic PC. Don't ask me why, but I love the card and it quickly became one of my favorite cards of Joe.
- Also added this to the TDCB as well. That's 2 days in a row I was able to add a card. This will also be the 70th card I've added of Sakic.
- While looking at Joe's career stats, here's one that hit me. Joe was on the ice for 2,220 goals for during his career, getting points on 1,641 of them, or 73.9%. Wayne Gretzky was at 81.2% and Mario Lemieux was 79.6% for comparisons sake. Steve Yzerman not too far behind Joe at 71.5%.
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
- I was very surprised to see that this card hadn't been added to the TDCB yet. Rest assured that has been taken care of now.
- I have always liked the Ovation design, with the front looking (and somewhat feeling) like the cover of a baseball. Definitely was something unique back in the day.
- Career homer #230 was hit 9/27/2000 vs. Johan Santana of the Twins. Santana was actually pitching in relief of starter Brad Radke, who had given up the first 7 Indians runs. Thome's HR would be the last run for the Indians in their 8-2 win that day.
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
- Another set that I never heard about, International Stars was a 150 card set featuring mostly current starts. The only two RCs that I saw on the checklist were Steve Shields and Vinny Prospal.
- Nothing descriptive on the back, just an action photo of Joe battling Vinny Prospal of the Flyers. The photo of Joe is exactly the same as the Leaf base card, just the background has changed.
- Just a couple of copies on COMC right now, a bit pricey with one at $1 and the other at $1.23.
Monday, September 11, 2017
- Feels weird writing a post on a Monday afternoon. A bit of a bonus you could say after not being sure what was going to happen in South Florida over the past couple of days.
- Love the older looking designs, the red background of the card mixes with the red on Jim's shirt and cap really well.
- Bio on the back: "..riding a productive second half (58 RBI in 69 games) to his third 100 RBI season in 1999." That's quite a pace, as it would be 136 RBI over a full 162 game season if he had kept that pace going.
- Still need the glossy version of this card, $1.20 currently on COMC. Still not ready to start buying dollar parallels of Thome just yet.
Sunday, September 10, 2017
- I've mentioned this before, I really would have liked to see the entire Donruss set done in the retro variation. I might have actually chased it some day.
- The black jersey is my favorite. Eventually I will have one for myself with Cutch's name on the back.
- Bio on the back: "On April 26, 2016, McCutchen slammed 3 home runs in a 9-4 win at Colorado for his second three-homer game. He joined Ralph Kiner, Willie Stargell and Roberto Clemente as the only Pittsburgh players with two." Doesn't get much better than that for Pirates history, does it?
- This is it...for now. This is currently the last McCutchen card in my PC. I have a few that will head my way from a couple of sources, but for now this is the last one I have in my binder.
- Dig the high socks on Andrew! Love this photo how they managed to seamlessly airbrush the "P" off the helmet and the Pirates off the chest.
- I like the 70's style gold jersey, but the pants are something from the 70's that are best left back there.
- Bio on the back: "Jumping from eighth to fifth on Pittsburgh's all time home run list in 2016, McCutchen finished the season with 175 HRs, one away from tying Barry Bonds." I'm not sorry to say that I'm glad he's passed Bonds on a Pirates records list, and I hope that he's ahead of Barry on all of them when it's said and done.
Saturday, September 9, 2017
- It would have been much better if Score had made the foil on the front gold instead of silver. Or, name the set silver blades?
- Been a while, but I was able to add this card to the Trading Card Database. They hit the 2 million mark for scans not too long ago, so congrats to the site!! The countdown to 3 million is on....
- Golden Blades is the much more affordable parallel of the two; there's 7 of these on COMC priced between $1.15 & $1.75. The Artists Proof? One at $15, the other at $18.25. Down the road on the AP for sure....