- Part of my most recent COMC order. Had it in the cart for quite a while, and to me it was cheap at 46 cents.
- Love how it scanned with the gold background. You have to really tilt the card to get any kind of gold to shine.
- Career homer #244 was hit 5/30/01 off of Detroit's Chris Holt. It was a 2 run shot to put the Indians ahead by 3; they would go on to win 8-4. It would be the first win of the season for Cleveland's Jaret Wright.
Monday, October 16, 2017
Sunday, October 15, 2017
- Boy this card takes me back a few years. The sleeveless jerseys that the Pirates sported a few years ago looked great. I'd love to see teams start using them again.
- I had a couple of these 2020 cards a few years ago; I'd forgotten the weird feel of the front of the card.
- Bio on the back: "Along the road to 2020, it would surprise no one if he challenged the Pirates single decade records for outfielders of 177 HRs and 862 RBIs set by Roberto Clemente in the 60's." Andrew already has 191 HRs this decade. A couple of good seasons and his 671 RBI will pass Clemente.
Saturday, October 14, 2017
- Finally obtained the base card of the Paramount rainbow. I believe I only have 2 colors left to pick up.
- 3 copies of this card currently on COMC, all between $1.20 and $1.25. I remember these packs being expensive back in the day, so the singles seem to be priced about right.
- It's a bit hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that this is the base card. I'm so used to gold cards being parallels that seeing one as the base doesn't make sense...
Friday, October 13, 2017
- I've never been a big fan of inserts, but this photo of Cutch in the on deck circle with a great view of the Clemente wall is fantastic.
- This was part of my latest COMC order. The group of cards I picked up for Cutch will bring me over 100.
- Bio on the back: "In 2015, sales of his jersey on MLB.com Shop ranked 10th among all players." Not bad for a small market star...
Thursday, October 12, 2017
- Yes Virginia, that is the longest post title I've ever had to type.
- Another card added to the Trading Card Database. I'm closing in on 80 Sakic images added to the site.
- This was part of a big group of cards sent to me by fellow Sakic collector @johnnychimpo68 on twitter. Very generous for sure. I'm going to have to do a rough count soon, I'm closing in on 700 Sakic cards in the collection.
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
- Can't believe how grainy this scan looks. Replacing my scanner might be another project for this weekend.
- Black and white photo, a good idea at the time, but I don't think anyone has tried it since?
- Jim's card is #297, 3 cards later in the set, card #300 is the rookie card of one Boof Bonser, probably the greatest name to play baseball in the 21st century.
Tuesday, October 10, 2017
- Happy 31st birthday to Andrew McCutchen!!
- Have had this sitting at the top of my jersey/bat card pile for all of my player PC's for a while now, finally decided to get down to scanning and showing on the blog.
- Added this card to the Trading Card Database, and was surprised at how many of these had not been scanned yet. There are 47 cards in this particular insert set, and just under half haven't been added.
- I'm not a big fan of the WAR stat; how does one account for 9/10 of a win?
Monday, October 9, 2017
- The scanner did not do this card justice. The emerald green in the logo and the sun ray is a lot deeper in hand than on the scan. It really is a nice looking parallel.
- I mentioned the other day that Joe had 13 points versus the Oilers in 96-97. The back of this card mentions one game in particular, where Joe tallied 6 points (5 assists).
- Added this card to the Trading Card Database. The site is well past the 2 million scan mark now. My goal is to keep helping the site as it approaches 3 million scans. It has been an invaluable tool for me with my collection and I plan to keep on supporting it as I can.
- Now, here's the base. I thought I only had 2 versions of this card, but then I looked through the gracious envelope of Sakic's I received recently, and there was this version.
- Guy in the front row behind Sakic, looks a little like Michael Imperioli, no? Couple of rows behind him, is a guy wearing shorts. I've been in a few hockey rinks during my days, can't say that I've ever worn shorts. Even down here in Florida.
- If I can keep pumping posts out for the rest of the year, it looks as if I'll hit 300 Sakic's on the blog. Stay tuned.
- Having a real tough time with Pacific products. For years, I thought this was the base card of this set. Turns out the base is in gold foil, and that this is the silver parallel. Sheesh.
- Despite my mistaken identity, I really like this card. Full bleed photo, and the sun ray type of design from the team logo is appealing to me.
- Just received 20 more cards of Joe from a fellow Sakic collector in Canada. The march to 700 Sakic cards continues.